Protecting Your Privacy
Our Commitment to You
As a member-owned financial institution, ECU has a longstanding tradition of providing quality member service and treating members with respect and dignity.
One way we show our commitment to our members is by protecting the privacy, confidentiality and security of your personal information. Another is by keeping you informed of our privacy policies and procedures.
When you join ECU you are trusting us with your personal information. In return we will do all we can to keep your trust and your personal information safe.
When it comes to your privacy, you can be assured that:
- We will respect your privacy choices
- We will use your personal information in a manner consistent with applicable laws
- We will be open with you about how we use and protect your information
We will not:
- Collect, use or disclose your personal information without your consent, except where required by law
- Sell your personal information to third parties
Equity Credit Union Privacy Statement
ECU may collect personal information from me, from product and service arrangements I have made with or through ECU, from credit bureaus and other financial institutions, and from the references I have provided ECU.
ECU may collect, use and disclose my personal information for the following purposes:
- Provide me with financial services
- Understand my financial services needs
- Determine my eligibility for membership and various products and services
- Tell me about products and services you feel may be of interest to me
- Measure and assess my level of patronage of the credit union and my relative contribution to its financial performance
- Share information with credit bureaus, other financial institutions, and with my consent, other parties
- Share information with your Networking Affiliates (where not prohibited by law) so that they may tell me or the credit union about their services
- Meet legal and regulatory requirements
- To detect and prevent fraud, and to help safeguard the financial interests of the credit union and its members
- Identify me
ECU may share my personal information with its employees and its business partners, but only as needed for the provision of products and services.
ECU may also use my personal information to introduce products and services that may be of interest to me through contacting me directly (via mail, telephone calls or email), and share it (subject to applicable law) for marketing purposes within ECU.
At any time, I can choose to opt-out of receiving direct marketing or sharing my personal information for marketing purposes. To opt-out, I will advise the credit union in writing.
Protecting Your Personal Information
Keeping your personal information safe is very important to us. We have procedures in place to prevent unauthorized access, use or manipulation of your information. All employees have signed a confidentiality agreement and our systems and procedures are designed to prevent the loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction of your information. We keep your information for as long as it is required for the purposes for which it was collected and for any legal or regulatory requirements.
Your Responsibilities Regarding Privacy
As a member, you are given access to certain systems in order to easily conduct transactions. This access includes Personal Identification Numbers (PIN) for debit cards and Personal Access Codes (PAC) for Online Banking or Telephone Banking.
It is up to you to protect this information and prevent misuse. We always advise members to safeguard the personal or banking information they choose to hold whether it’s account statements, unused cheques or PIN/PAC numbers.
Also remember that any email sent over the Internet is usually not transmitted in an encrypted format. We suggest you do not send confidential information to us or anyone else by unencrypted email.
Contact the Privacy Officer
You have the right to question the Privacy Officer about our compliance with any of these principles.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Privacy Officer in writing to:
Equity Credit Union Inc.
ATTN: Privacy Officer
Equity Credit Union Inc.
299 Kingston Rd.
Ajax L1Z 0K5